Sunday, March 7, 2010

Glit Fit - Healthy Snacks


I have been on a never-ending quest to find yummy, healthy snack options since being on my health kick. I must admit, my idea of a good snack used to be potato chips, ice cream, or Mac N Cheese. Now that I have basically cut all 3 of those things out my life, I've had to move on to other options. Here is a small list of a few I have been loving:


  • Apples and Peanut Butter - just don't overdo the peanut butter because it packs a lot of calories.
  • Carrots and Hummus
  • Pretzels and Hummus
  • String Cheese (Low Fat) with an Apple or Banana
  • Shrimp Cocktail - LOVEEEE THIS! If you are unfortunate (like me) and live far away from the sea I have found a decent shrimp cocktail at my Kroger.
  • Grapes and a protein - like Deli Turkey
  • Cottage Cheese and Peaches (I snubbed my nose at this one for awhile but it turns out... I love it now haha! My secret is I get the Fat Free kind - it takes away that strong cottage cheesy smell that I couldn't handle.)
  • Yogurt with Granola (Greek Yogurt with a bit of honey.... mmmm)
  • Organic Fruit Roll up (fruit leather)
  • Cherry Tomatoes
Everyone always says "a handful of nuts" but I don't really like nuts so that's not a good option for me. I try to eat 2-3 snacks a day, one between breakfast and lunch, one between lunch and dinner, and sometimes one after dinner if I eat early.

So my question for you is - what are your healthy snack options? I have been on this kick for about 10 months now and I am starting to get tired of the above options. I am going to the store soon so I want to pick up a few new things.


Elle Fowler

97 comments on "Glit Fit - Healthy Snacks"

Makeup Kitten on March 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

You are doing so well with your diet! It sounds like you have managed to change your lifestyle and eating habits completely - I'm jealous! :)

I love grapes, tea, oranges, crispbread, ricecakes, kiwi, strawberries and low cal hot chocolate when I fancy a snack ;)

Brianna on March 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

A great way to tone up or loose weight , well what I did and it made me loose a lot anyway, is cut out bread. Instead of having a tuna sandwich, you have a little bit on a few crackers. It cuts out a lot of carbs and a lot of calories. Plus there is a lot of sugar in bread.

Anonymous said...

I've also been trying to move towards healthier eating. Strawberries, raisins, yogourt cups, pineapple chunks, and homemakes smoothies usually find their way into my daily snack routine along with the things you mentioned.

Annie said...

i love greek yogurt, with strawberries (any kind of berry is excellent) with crushed up graham crackers, all put together in a wine glass. It looks yummy and it tastes awesome too. Hope this helps Elle :)

Devea on March 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM said...

Thanks so much for this post! My dilemma has been finding healthy low calorie snacks for in between meals and this really helps!!

http://cupcakesofsilk.blogspot.com/

Avery said...

I love eating apples with nutella, instead of peanut butter, obviously not too much though. I am such a chocolate person and this helps stop SOME of my chocolate cravings. Hope this helps <3

Anonymous said...

if you haven't yet try pretzels and nutella.

you should try k bars some time, they are really good, especially the strawberry. 90 calories each.

sarah said...

all of my friends think this is disgusting but regular chips with bannana is actually very good and healthy or they have these wonderful get thin bars at either costco, publix, kroger, and target

lake breeze on March 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM said...

Thanks for the ideas!
I like tuna with crackers, biscotti (low in cal compared to cookies), popcorn, fruit/yogurt smoothies..

Larissa said...

Between breaksfast and lunch I eat a banana or some kind of granola bar... and between luch and dinner (since i'm home) I drink natural orange juice or a mix with banana, melon and milk.

Anonymous said...

I try to eat Apples with Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter and Celery, Whole Grain Cracker with Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese, DanActive Drinkable Yogurt, 3 Hershey Kisses in Dark Chocolate, Organic Cookies if I am cheating:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice tips!
I usually prepare a nice smoothie. I put in a scoop of whey protein, berries, maybe half a banana and some desiccated coconut! blend it, put it in one of your thermal mugs and ready to go! yum!
And my secret weapon is a TS of psyllium husk. It's pretty much pure fiber, tastes of nothing, fills you up, makes the smoothie more creamy and it's good for detox as well... ;)

Mariah said...

I love to look at the healthy snack choices in Seventeen, but one thing I really love is Greek Yogurt! I always get the honey kind, or if I get plain I add some honey, but Greek Yogurt is low fat but somehow really thick and DELICIOUS.

jessarae on March 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM said...

My new favorite snack is dipping a banana into a low cal or fat free chocolate pudding cup! It's great for chocolate cravings. Dipping an apple in a vanilla pudding cup is great too.

Anonymous said...

i eat the 100 calorie snacks, special k bars or cereal wheat thins, yogurt wit granola, and fruits like kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe,bananas, etc.

and if u want chocolate eat dark chocolate because its good for u and the more cocoa it has in it the better it is for u!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great ideas!
I like to take organic granola, low fat vanilla yogurt, and freshly cut strawberries and make a parfait. Also, I like snacking on apples and cheese as well as dipping cherry tomatoes in hummus.

Name on March 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM said...

so i have been watching your youtube videos for months now, and just now i decided to comment. about a year ago i use to go to the gym religiously and run 3 miles and eat great. recently though, ive side tracked and just now im realizing how it is upsetting me. your posts and the way you speak about health food really is inspiring me. i had a break down about two days ago, and this list really is a huge help! thank you very very much!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't try to loose weight cause im average weight, but i cut gluten out of my diet and my stomach shrank, You obviously don't need to loose weight, but it makes you much healthier, i eat it on occasion like sometimes if i want brusketta or pasta, but it makes you much healthier, i used to get cold atleast once a month and i havent gotten sick since :)

Anonymous said...

my FAVORITE healthy snack is a 1/2 cup organic low-fat frozen yogurt and then mixing in frozen grapes cut in half. if you havent tried frozen grapes, they're so good. even better than grapes out of the fridge. the sugars are more concentrated for some reason. (btw they are awesome snacks on their own). but when you eat the grapes and the yogurt together its like eating ice cream and a popsickle at the same time. SO good and its healthy!!

Sophie Louise on March 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM said...

I love mango in cottage cheese and banana with peanut butter (and sometimes I put chocolate sprinkles on it)yummy :).

Anonymous said...

What I like to do, and its so yummy, is get my favorite fruits (strawberries, peaches, blueberries, pineapple, apple, etc.) cut them up and put them in a bowl. With all that I add my favorite yogurt and nuts. It lasts me a couple of days and its very healthy.

Anonymous said...

you could try to eat bananas, strawberries, or any kind of fruit in your cereal, like the kosher (i've heard warm cinnamon is good) or some other low fat/calorie cereal :)

Kate said...

I found these fiber bars at Target (I don't know where you are, so I don't know if there's a Target nearby). I get the kind with oats and chocolate, and they are a bit sugary, but the fiber is really good for you. My mom bought me four boxes because I eat one almost everyday. They're kind of small, but they really fill you up.
Hope this helps! I'm trying to be healthier, so I'm definitely trying some of your ideas!
=)

Emily on March 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM said...

100 calorie popcorn is great by Orville R., my advice would be to make all vegetables your best friend, learn to love what is really good for your body. :) Also, veggie burger patty's are only 70 calories (boca vegan) and pack an impressive 13 grams of protein! Also, south beach living bars are absolutely amazing tasting, some with only 110 calories!

LillianZahra on March 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM said...

Those are great snacking ideas. I usually have apples as they're easy to eat but I'm getting quite bored of them now so I'll def try out some of your suggestions. In the summer I love frozen mixed berries, I eat them straight out the pack! Low calories hot chocolate is great too in the evenings :) x

Bethany said...

Dried cranberries! They are so delicious and full of antioxidants. I've really noticed a difference in my skin since I started to eat them

Andrea said...

One of mye favs is almonds and rasins(together). But, since you don't like nuts, that's obviously not for you.
But my other favs might be!
You should try apples(I love pink ones) cut up, with a sprinkle of cinnamon. It's DELICIOUS. And, I also LOVE strawberries with a little vanilla yoghurt on top. It's SO good! And low calorie! And you can eat it as a desert and not feel guilty whatsoever. I eat it almost every night these days, I think I'm addicted.
And I also drink a lot of tea, without any type of sweetener.
Thanks for the tips Elle! :) I love getting new ideas for healthy and yummy snacks. When you think about it, dieting/eating healthy is a lot of FUN! :)

Unknown on March 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM said...

Hey Elle,

I love dried cranberries lately. There really good for. Also I like peanut butter and celery. Also Mandrian orange slices. Like the ones without the rine.

Anonymous said...

Elle, I admire you soo much and I think this just makes it soo much better! I'm trying to eat healthier ( and lose some of my stomach ) and I loove when u do "glit fit" videos. I was gonna go to the store today and I'm reading this right before I leave perfect timing right? (: I'm in love with Special K cereal bars. They are small and are DELICIOUS I always feel acomplished when I eat one lol

<3 - jessica

Olivia said...

I love to eat yougurt covered raisins...it also takes away the craving for sweet treats

ElleBelle on March 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM said...

Elle, I love your ideas! But what is a Kroger? Is it similar to our Whole Foods down in New Orleans? And one snack I LOVE are these really awesome Special K cereal bars! I saw people already mentioned them! lol! I like the Strawberry ones. Each bar is only 90 calories and it feels like I'm cheating every time.

Much love,
Shu (I also go by Elle but that would be too confusing!)

Unknown on March 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM said...

I've been trying to eat healthier as well! I love the "glit Fit" videos even though i can't use all the tips because I'm still sorta young for that stuff :) The Special K cereals are AMAZING! (love the chocolately delight!) I also like the Del Monte grapefruit cups! They are packed full of vitiman C!! They can be tart so i put a nice amount of sugar on then wait about 4-7 minutes so the sweetness seeps in. Instead of the regular snacks you may try making a nice fruit salad for you and your housemates (:
<3 your videos! -Lauren

Anonymous said...

I'm still a beginner when it comes to eating healthy, but these are some of the things I really enjoy:

- Salads with fat free dressing and a little bit of shredded cheese
- Quaker chewy chocolate chunk granola bars (amazingly only 90 calories)
- Low calorie hot chocolate
- Low calorie/low fat soups. The only problem with these is the high amount of sodium.
- Cereals such as Total, Life, and Grape Nuts with Splenda or Equal
- Of course lots of fruits and veggies
- Low fat yogurt!

That's all I have for now.
(:
Congrats on your healthy lifestyle Elle!

Garden Cake Party on March 7, 2010 at 12:04 PM said...

I love cutting apples and kiwi in small chunks and put light yoghurt on top. And, when I'm home I make slimex bread toasted, and add Worcester sauce on top.

Anonymous said...

-Crakers with peanut butter or with cream cheese
-dry fruits
-smoothie

Anonymous said...

it's not healthy - but its low cal...
JELLO! <3

Carolin on March 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM said...

if you still like chips then make your own chips!
just cut bread in little pieces and if you want put some oil and spices on it.
then put it into the oven and wait till the bread chips are crispy.
it's a good option for chips.

a more healthier snack is for me vegetables with a good selfmade dip! :)

love from germany!
Carolin.

Unknown on March 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM said...

have u ever tried edemame,or (soy bean)they r sooooo freakin good.its really healthy and good for u.but it doestnt taste like healthy food,if u know wut i mean.u can find it at frozen section in any grocery store.

Unknown on March 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM said...

Something that I have EVERY night before bed (i've lose so much weight by cutting out ice cream and doing this instead) is a sugar free pudding cup (there are so many varieties, my favorites are those chocolate mousse things made by Jello or dulce de leche made by Jello as well) with a little bit of fat free whipped cream and a 100 calorie pack of almonds or walnuts on top. i know you said you don't like nuts, but this is AMAZING. just try it. it's no carbs/no sugars and healthy fats so it's really really really good to eat; even before bed!

Ashley on March 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM said...

my mom is on a really strict diet right now.
and she likes to to eat cucumbers or strawberrys with some beef jerky!

Anonymous said...

80 CALORIE SNACK!
Finn Crisp, Kavli or Wasa crispbread (50cal) with a Light Laughing Cow cheese (30cal) and cherry tomato.

Same crackers with peanut butter and dried cherries/raisins sprinkled on the top.

Renata

Anonymous said...

Hi Elle!

I've been on a health kick for about 8 months and I've lost 30 pounds! It's been really hard though. At first it was really easy to stay healthy because I was seeing results but now I am at my goal weight so its all about maintaining. You've listed a lot of snacks I like...

Some others are:
cliff bars- these are like a treat because they are basically like a candy bar
30 chocolate chips-70 calories
amys hint of salt baked pita chips with hummus- they are like chips but A LOT healthier!


thats about it though, you listed all of my favorites! The truth is that those are basically all the healthy snacks and you just need to get used to them! have you lost any weight?

MissBittersweet on March 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM said...

Hi! I am from Spain, and here we also do 5 meals (I mean, breakfast, one snack, lunch, another snack and dinner) and I think this is the best way to keep fit. If you distribute the food you must eat in this way, you won´t have a sense of hungry, so you won´t eat more than you need. Sorry if my English is not very good :(

Anonymous said...

make your own smoothie!- frozen strawberries, banana, pineapple juice. soooooooooooo good and it doesn't have all the extra bad stuff

Anonymous said...

My favorite snack (which could probably double as a meal)would have to be an avocado half with red onions and goat feta with a little balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. I know that sounds high in fat, but frankly you need fat in your diet! And, its delicious.

addaniel on March 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM said...

I like having apple slices dipped in honey with cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

Try cottage cheese and pineapple! Oh so yummy!!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Thomas makes 100 calorie bagels in whole wheat. I eat those with a light, whipped cream cheese and just go really easy on the cream cheese.

Unknown on March 7, 2010 at 1:19 PM said...

I like to smash up half a banana with some cinnamon & spread it on 1 organic graham cracker. I also love to just throw some frozen blackberries in non-fat vanilla yogurt.

Anonymous said...

I love air popped popcorn. If you get the kernels and pop them yourself without any added oil or butter you can end up eating almost 2 cups of popcorn for only a hundred calories. You can flavor the kernels any way you like. My favorite way to eat them is not the most calorie efficient though. So to get the same amount of calories you'd have to cut back the amount to maybe 1 cup of popcorn. I salt the popcorn and then drizzle a little honey on top.
I also love tropical fruits and smoothies like mango.
Also, oven baked sweet potato fries are yummy.

expectingamiricle said...

I found these great smoothie in a bag things by yoplait from walmart. They have all kinds of different flavors and all you have to do is add milk and blend.

Ana on March 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM said...

For healthy snack, I go for vegetables or fruits with lime juice and snack seasoning (my favorite is Tajin). So good and easy! Just chop an apple or 1/2 cucumber, or maybe a couple of carrots. Squeeze some lime juice and sprinkle the snack seasoning (it's like ground up chili with lemon and salt; practically calorie-less).

I'm not sure if you can get this snack seasoning everywhere, but in my Wal-Mart it is located in the produce section.

Jessica Lynn said...

Thanks Elle!
What I really like is (and this may sound weird, but its actually pretty good)apples and whipped cream cheese (: Only whipped because its easier to scoop but the low fat kind:) Also, you should try out some smoothies and such! I don't know if you have a Jamba Juice in your area, but I bet they have some great recipes, especially since it is just so natural and healthy! Last, a peanut butter and banana sandwich. more banana than peanut butter though(:

Elizabeth said...

special k bars(90calories) are sooooooooooooooooo good chocolate and strawberry! also try fruit crisp bars theyre only like 100 calories for 2 and taste kinda like pop tarts and now i like that i think yoplait is making pre made smoothis you just add milk and blend yum !

Marissa on March 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM said...

I put unsweetened apple sauce and a bit of cinnamon in a ramekin dish. Perfect Portion control! I also love a small handful of raw almonds(no salt). On occasion, I smash up a banana and some peanut butter. Soo good :)

Klara Denmark said...

An avokado with soya or cottage cheese and salt in the little hole from the stone :-) That is my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Dried fruit! Its very concentrated with sugar so you can only eat a little at a time but it satisfies your craving for something sweet.
Apple chips are also really good, they are dehydrated apples- so yum!

Melanie said...

I love fruit smoothies - I add orange juice and vanilla yogurt for liquid, and a jumble of different frozen fruits. So yummy! Very filling too if you make a big glass.
Any type of fresh fruit, usually the in season stuff is always in my fridge..
Also I love fibre 1 bars and Special K bars in vanilla. They are are really tasty and pretty healthy!
Also you have already mentioned this but I love apples and peanut butter! Two of my fave things!

Anonymous said...

I think it's important to think about where the calories/fat content is coming from in a food, instead of being concerned about just the caloric content. A lot of low fat foods and low calorie foods are really over processed and don't really benefit the body

Anonymous said...

1.) lowfat cottage cheese and veggie crisps

2.) multigrain tostitos and salsa

3.) sliced strawberries on top of lowfat vanilla yogurt

4.) edamame (in the pod)

5.) sliced banana, tbsp of peanut butter, handful of raisins, tsp of honey, sprinkle of cinnamon, and warm up in microwave

6.) lowfat vanilla yogurt, kashi (honey almond flax) sprinkled on top

7.) organic poptart, tsbp of peanut butter on flat side

Anonymous said...

sweetcorn!!!
get a small tin of kernels and put it in a cup with some ground black pepper and heat in the microwave for 1 minute
110 cals
and takes forever to eat when you eat it 1 kernel at a time

Savannah on March 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM said...

One of the best snacks that you can possibly have is a shake made using and Whey Protein Powder. This stuff is amazing if you want to help get back all the nutrients that your body has lost in a work out. It's also great because they have under 100 calories in one scoop, and really add to any smoothie. Or, you can just mix it with milk or water.

www.beautyandfashion-savannah.blogspot.com

Chava said...

I love the little clementines. They are sweet and delicious, and they don't have seeds. I don't like nuts very much either, so I'll substitute a handful of sunflower seeds, or some berries. There's a company like Kashi that makes some good organic granola bars too, that you can keep in a bag or something.

Lindy said...

Plain popcorn!

Anonymous said...

i am on a similar plan....u can eat any dairy that is less than 30% fat so low fat cheeses and whole grain crackers (make sure the package says whole grains not enriched wheat flour thats not the same thing) and i also love squishing up black berries in vanilla yogurt....stoneyfield farms is one of the only dairies i trust they are openly small and dont use hormones are mistreat there animals.....movie to watch food inc....trust me it will open your eyes!

Addie on March 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM said...

Larabars are amazing!

Joyelle on March 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM said...

try this simple and easy fruit dip recipe:

-12 oz fat-free cool whip
-one can of fat-free sweetened condensed milk
-8oz fat-free cream cheese (room temp)

this dip is insanely yummy and fat free, just a few calories, but so well worth it with the amount of fruit your body will be fed!!

here's my veg dip:

-16oz fat-free sour cream
-1 packet of DRY ranch dressing

i mix the dry pack right into the sour cream and simply mix together.

again, fat-free with a few calories, but so well worth all the nutrients/vitamins/minerals/fiber you receive from all the veggies you take in!!!

ive lost weight after each of my 3 kids and maintain my ideal weight and this has helped each time!!

gotta be careful with the oils and nuts, but with fruit and vegetables there's never a reason to be hungry bc you can literally eat them all day long and they have such low sugar levels (vegs) and are so low-cal, they help you lose weight, even eating them all day long.

keep up the good work!!
if you have any ?'s please contact me thru my blog:
http://www.hotpinkdiaries.blogspot.com

Unfocused Idiot on March 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM said...

It's going to sound really wierd but I was feeding my baby Gerber Graduates crunchies flavored Mild Cheddar and I noticed that they taste, well, good! They are low sodium cuz they are for babies and you could totally pig and eat the whole tin for just over a hundred calories. So if I'm absolutely desperate for chips I share a bowl with my baby:)
The Veggie dip flavor is good too but the Zesty tomato :P though baby likes it.

Anonymous said...

Recently I've really been loving homemade baked pita chips. I buy mini whole wheat pitas, brush a little bit of oil on them, and sprinkle them with salt, garlic powder, and paprika (but you can use whatever you want), then bake them at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or until crispy and cut them into triangles. They taste sooo good and really satisfy my craving for something salty and crunchy!

Alli on March 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM said...

When I'm really starving between meals, my favorite thing to eat is a packet of oatmeal. It's so filling and it's healthy and light on calories.

Faith said...

hey elle it is prob. not the healthiest but i like to have strawberries n blueberries in heavy cream i find the cream to make it taste a lil betta i think u should try it, i have tht ever morning fior breakfast

Anonymous said...

I love green monsters which is basicly a smoothie with the main ingredient being spinach TrulyJess has a vid on it

Summer said...

Well it's more of a meal than a snack, but Select Harvest Light soups are really healthy and very delicious. The kind I like (I can't remember the name of it at the moment.. it's some sort of vegetable soup..) is only 50 calories per serving! A good snack I like is, and you're probably going to think this is weird, 100% pure pumpkin from a can. It's actually for making pumpkin pie, but it's just the pumpkin part. And it's only 40 calories per serving! :D On it's own it's pretty nasty, but when you add cinnamon and Splenda (both 0 calories) (Splenda is an artificial sugar, incase someone doesn't know what that is.) it tastes just like pumpkin pie filling! :)

Em on March 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM said...

Hi Elle,

My favourites are:
Kiwi Fruit
Chewy Choc Chip Museli Bars (I think Uncle Tobys)
Peanuts
Greek Yoghurt with Passionfruit
and Cucumber!

I try and stick with fresh foods as much as possible :)

My fav lunch right now, you should try it is a salad with cucumber, red onion, capsicum (red and yellow), fetta cheese and fat free italian dressing. YUM!

Packaged foods just seem unhealthy..but I LOVE my museli bars

Erika A. on March 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM said...

i love eating tuna(in water) with a little mayo dried cranberries, walnuts and a dash of curry powder..it sounds a lil weird but its soo good!

Jacey S said...

This isn't really a snack but, I eat oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and maple syrup for breakfast. SO YUMMY !

Or just buy the multi grain cheerios or some cereal like that to munch on when you want a snack

Emilyanne on March 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM said...

I love all of these ideas & am stealing some! What i like to do is get the light english muffins (100 cal per muffin so 50 cals per slice), top one slice with a little bit of marinara sauce, a sprinkle of cheese, and a couple slices of pepperoni! It's about 100 calories per serving -- you could even make this one into a meal

I also love to eat apples, pineapples & blueberries

&& the vitamuffin in the sweet corn flavor tastes just like cornbread yum-o!

Clodagh said...

fresh homemade vegetable soup is a must! 1 oninon, 1 potato, a parsnip, a carrot, some garden peas, a leek, a stick of celery, a chicken or vegetable stock cube,a dash of salt pepper and other seasoning (like thyme parsley and oregano) and 3 cups of water. then you chop up all your veg, saute the onion first to bring out the flavour, and then heat the rest of the veg. add the water and stock cube and seasoning bring to the biol and let simmer until the veg soften (bout 20 mins, quicker if using gas) and then enjoy!! i know its not a snack but its extremly filling, and serves around 3-4 people!! and really nutricious and cheap too!! i have it for dinner nearly 3 or 4 times a week!! hope this helps!

jodienas on March 8, 2010 at 12:58 AM said...

Dried apricots and bananas, dark chocolate and sometimes I'll have a protein shake, those really fill me up

Gail on March 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM said...

May favorite snacks are:
- Roasted chick peas with alittle olive oil & a little bit of sea salt. Don't have to many because they do have calories but it helps satisfy the potato chip craving.
- Sugar-free jello!
- Celery sticks with laughing cow cheese and raisins sprinkled on top.
- A few cucumber slices tossed in low-fat italian dressing.
- Homemade trail mix (m&ms, pretzels, dried fruit mix of your choice, and mix of nuts of your choice). You don't like nuts so leave them out!
- Strawberries dipped in light whipped cream.
- Frozen grapes.
I have more but that's all I can think of. I like to alternate my snacks so I don't get sick of them. HTH! <3

Anonymous said...

thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx yummmy ideas...!!! and healthyyyyyyyyyyy :)
luv you
xoxo
lizzy201292

Joana said...

Hi!

I don't know if it is sold in USA but in europe it is. In my opinion the most delicious snack without fat, is cereals bars from Fitness (Nestle). There are many flavors like chocolate, apple, orange... and it is so good! Each bar only has 88Kcal!! Try it :)

XoXo

J*

CandyToMySoul on March 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM said...

Also, banana and peanut butter is amazing!! You get the protein from the peanut butter and the sugars and yummy-ness from the banana. Similar to apples.

Thanks for the cottage cheese tip Elle!

Anonymous said...

I love how you are getting healthy! Good luck!

AllThingsKitsch on March 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM said...

I like....
--- A laughing cow cheese wedge (which I think is like 40 calories?) and two of these new Wheat Thins Flat Bread crackers

--- Skinny Cow brand ice cream cones for (only 150 calories & low sodium)

--- Nature Valley granola bars coated with yogurt, they come in strawberry and vanilla..mmmmm

--- Bruschetta Veggie chips

--- Dole fruit popsicles

--- Old fashioned Quaker OatMeal and you can add your own splenda brown sugar and put slices of strawberries or blueberries/bananas in it, good for breakfast!

--- hardboiled or deviled eggs

--- Raisins or yogurt covered raisins

--- pita chips and homemade salsa (onion, cilantro, tomato, peppers, and you can even add mangos)

--- apple sauce

--- mini bags of popcorn

Unknown on March 9, 2010 at 5:58 AM said...

tuna on wholegrain crackers!!
or banana smoothie with skim milk
or a tiny bit of high cocoa dark chocolate melted with strawberries

Anonymous said...

I love:

-water tuna (not the one in oil) with a little bit of mayo on a wholegrain cracker

-or wholegrain cornflakes with any flavored yogurt (especially strawberry!) instead of milk

cucumber,tomatoes and feta cheese

Natalie on March 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM said...

I've been loving frozen berries! Where we do our grocery shopping you can get like bags of frozen berries (strawberries,raspberries,blackberries,cranberries etc.) and a little bowl full is less than 100 calories and I don't even eat a whole bowl per serving!

Unknown on March 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM said...

I really like Ants on a Log. If you don't know what it is, it's a celery stick with a bit of peanut butter spread on it and raisins plopped on the top. It sounds gross but you have to try it, it is REALLY good! I also like Special K Fruit Crisp bars, Whole Wheat Toast with Strawberry Jam, and fruit slap-chopped on top of oatmeal. :)

Matilda on March 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM said...

An avocado, two eggs and a big carrot are some of the things I eat for a snack on my diet. You should really try avoiding all sort of carbohydrates (or just eat a lot less of it then you do others) and find things high on protein. The feeling of satisfaction last a whole lot longer if you do that :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Elle!
Special K 100 calorie bars are AMAZING!
Also, wheat thin crackers with low fat cream cheese and cherry tomatoes are delicious. :)
Here are a few more ideas:
Pita chips and hummus, wheat thins with peanut butter, bananas w/ peanut butter, frozen grapes (YUMMMM!), and also you can take yogurt and berries and mix them in a cup and freeze them for about 30 minutes so they aren't completely frozen but just chilled. basically healthy homemade frozen yogurt. for lunch a lot of the time i also love to make a fajita wrap with deli turkey, lettuce, tomato, and a little bit of mustard. :)

Sandra said...

Hi Elle,

I saw these were already mentioned but I also love Edamame! Cook them with a little salt or steam them - so delicious and healthy (they go really well with beer too - when you have friends over and don't want potato chips)!
Also, I used to make roasted chickpeas with soy sauce, simply roast cooked chickpeas in a pan or in the oven, add some soy sauce and maybe seasoning, roast some more and you're good (there is a recipe somewhere on vegweb.com, I believe).

Anonymous said...

I love to mix walnuts with Craisins with Chex Mix cereal. Mix up a ziplock baggie of it for on the go or whenever you're craving something. There's just something really satisfying about all that crunch with nutty/tartness!

I was never a fan of nuts either, but walnuts have grown on me so much, especially in this combo.

Another idea is to make banana bread with craisins/walnuts-delicious and great for breakfasts!

Those Quaker Oats instant oatmeal packs are also really great, just microwave like 2/3 cups water + oatmeal in a bowl for 60 secs, so simple. I like to mix a little soymilk and some ground flaxseeds in it too, you won't even be able to tell it's there + good source of fiber for keeping you full!

posopi on March 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM said...

You should try a fruit and yogurt parfait, here's what I use in mine:

- 2 containers of yoplait low fat vanilla yougurt.

- 1/2 a cup of sliced strawberries

-1/4 a cup of blueberries

-1/4 a cup of sliced banana

-1/4 a cup of granola

Marie on March 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM said...

I love yogurt with granola. That's what I have every day for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

I went on the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine's 21 Day Vegan Kickstart and eliminated dairy from my diet. This made a big difference to my skin as well and I feel less 'clogged'. My palate no longer tolerates heavy foods, so it has been retrained over 3 weeks!Dairy has a lot of fat and the lite versions have lactose (ie:sugar) and gelatine etc
Anyways, the PCRM site has lots of snack ideas.

Anonymous said...

Elle, Peanut butter is actually super good for your diet because of the high protein..that's why it's the main ingredient 99% of the time in protein bars...it keeps you feeling full because protein takes longer to digest which results in feeling full longer and body builders even use it as a staple as well. In the prison system, it's the #1 thing along with eggs that the inmates want the most because it helps their work out..they actually find a way to steal it (my husband is a Corrections Officer) also you need protein to help you build muscle...so it's excellent before and after a workout. So don't worry about the calories in the peanut butter..just build muscle and you'll be toned and and burn those calories right up. ;0)

Post a Comment

 

Elle Fowler Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez

ss_blog_claim=941dacbcbd77f1b77a19a34351d0506b