Thursday, December 11, 2008

How to dress like an American college student


So I have noticed that college aged girls have a "look". This is pretty standard around the area I go to school, so if it does not look like ANYTHING how people dress where you go to school, then leave a comment and tell me what the trends are in other places! This is a typical "going to class" look:

Black Northface Denali Jacket

Black Leggings


Colored Scarf (my favorites red)


Ugg boots

Longchamp pilage bag for carrying books (again, I have the red one)

And any dark nail polish - I love OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark


I didn't really like this look when I first came to school here (styles are different in the south) but it is really growing on me! I'm really enjoying the longchamp bags :)

xoxo
Elle

45 comments on "How to dress like an American college student"

Angela on December 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM said...

This is pretty typical except a lot of girls here where skinny jeans in their ugg boots. You hit it right on the dot.

uyen ; on December 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM said...

exactly! they do that in my middle school all the time (:

Unknown on December 11, 2008 at 10:56 PM said...

That's so cool. Over here it's kind of hot so people don't usually dress like so, but it sure is a nice combination! Over here it's more of skinny jeans, a vintage top or something (preferrably long like a tunic) and paired with sneakers. The bag usually differs but it's always a huge bag too. haha.

Anonymous said...

In my uni people wear this exact look pretty much except that people wear skinny jeans more than leggings as its cold here and loads of people wear the university sweatshirt with the name of my school on :) but EVERYBODY wears uggs, i love my uggs :)

*GardeniA* on December 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM said...

I'm Italian so University Outfit is quite different (less expensive) from this one.

-Black long coat
-Skinny, dark jeans
-snakers (but I love too much pretty shoes, so I usually wear my ballerinas or high heel shoes)
-Tshirt (better if they're unsual)

But all students looks different one from each other. Oh, here Harrods shopper bags are a must have, but I don't like them.

Windy Wellington on December 12, 2008 at 3:16 PM said...

Looks very pretty, but isn't it waaaay too cold? I would die with nothing but leggings on my legs. Or at least get a heavy cititis. At my law school in Germany there is a certain "law" look, that includes pearl earrings, a Burberry scarf and a pony tail. :-)

Laura on December 13, 2008 at 7:38 AM said...

as you know elle this post was a total enabler. i got my uggs, wore them and heart them. grey short ones next! :) plus maybe a longchamp bag :)

Elle Fowler on December 13, 2008 at 1:48 PM said...

@ lollipop26 - I am so glad you love your uggs! They get alot more comfortable as you break them in too. I am sure you will get the grey ones soon! You need a longchamp bag! I absolutely loveee them!

Anonymous said...

That is THE college girl look at my school except replace the Longchamp bag with a Vera Bradley bag and replace the plain scarf with a Burberry one...then welcome to my school!

Anonymous said...

So true! A lot of people also wear PINK where I go to school, and monogrammed bags (mostly with sorority greek letters).

Maria on December 14, 2008 at 2:26 PM said...

OMG is almost the same look people wear here, except the leggins are replaced with skinny jeans and we dont use scarf because of the weather... (hot tropical)

Sarah~ on December 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM said...

This is exactly it! Along with straight, tight jeans. :)

What's your major?

Anonymous said...

I'm in Australia and the look here is kind of similar except with dark skinny jeans a longer kind of jacket and the same huge bag.
Except in the summer, then anything goes!

Susan Tinsley on December 16, 2008 at 5:08 PM said...

Are the Longchamps bags really that good? Can they hold all your books? I'm in Paris for the year and seriously considering picking one up after Christmas (they're cheaper here!!) but I'm not sure whether or not they'll be sturdy enough to carry all my books...xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi! i'm from Quebec, Canada, and i must say that not a lot of people wears leggings here (we're more about jeans!) As for the scarves, i'm not really into them even though a lot of girls wear them... And because of the cold weather, we like to wear boots, but not the UGG's ones, more the leather ones!

(I went in France last summer and almost every French girl I met on the Champs Élysées had a Longchamp! Incredibly popular there... a must have for sure!)

Lizeth on December 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM said...

Okay, now I'm obesessed with a Longchamps bag!

Anonymous said...

I go to school at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, and I'm a sophmore, and this is the LOOK of our school! as other said there are skinny jeans & vera bradely bags, but this is the look i wear everyday to classes!

The tai-tai (wannabe) on December 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM said...

gosh....everything here in the Netherlands or at least at my school is pretty much the same except the northface jacket. And like others who left comments here, sometimes they (well..including me), also replaced the legging with skinny jeans.

Like you, I am also enjoying the long champ bag A LOT!! I also love my ugg though!

Curvy Petite on January 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM said...

same style here in the midwest!

Anonymous said...

I go to school in upstate NY .. and yup u hit the nail on the head! That's the typical "sorority whore" look .. bad spray tan + leggings + snow/salt-stained Uggs + longchamp bag + some kind of thin scarf. It's rly just a default outfit that everyone wears!

Anonymous said...

Hey

I go to the University of Vienna, and every girl seems to have a George, Gina& Lucy bag.

No One on January 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM said...

Thank god i this in your blog because i have been trying to find out the name of that bag for agess!!!!

Anonymous said...

Im looking into the Longchamp bags...which size do you recommend for carrying all your books? I cant decide!

MmoiselleP on January 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM said...

it's so great that now you are update your blog regularly. I like Longchamp as well.

Anonymous said...

hey lovelies;)
it´s only a question but do these longchamp bags really cost $145?and which GG&L-bag do you like the most?

Anonymous said...

Ha ha this is hilarious... Do you go to school in the Pacific NW? This is EXACTLY how people dress here... Skinny jeans are big with the UGGS too. I lived in Las Vegas for a few years and it was like no one had ever heard of North Face. LOL. Anyhow... gotta love this look. ;)

Anonymous said...

ok so im from boston Massachusettes and not all girls in my college wear that look but there is a large group of girls that do ...like rin from upstate said its mainly the prepy sority girls that all dress the same and have the same personality..there is alot of diversity at my college we have a lot of indivuals...but as for me i rock my juicy sweats jordans and my jansport lol..i work 2nd and 3rd shift and go to school in the mornings and afternoon so i wear whats easy and most comfortable me....but im also gulity of owning uggs..there like slippers you can wear outside:)

Anonymous said...

hahahhaahhaha, this is so funny because this is what i wear every day! and i hear people from other colleges making fun of the long island girls there because "leggings aren't pants" but...it's true, i'm a long island girl and i wear leggings as pants with my north face, uggs and of course i carry my books in a (black) longchamp.

fat-to-fabulous on April 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM said...

Im at uni in australia and pretty much the only thing that everyone wears is some form of denim. Even on like a really hot day people still wear their jeans. Ugg boots are good but not for wearing outside :S they are slippers lol

Anonymous said...

WOW! Same here! That's the UNIFORM everywhere I think. lol. Except replace the North Face jacket with one by Columbia (because you can student charge the one with our school logo on it at our bookstore), skinny jeans or sweatpants instead of leggings (at least in the winter) and a Vera Bradley bag (because you can also student-charge them - lol).

Anonymous said...

Hahaha thats so definitely the look. Tim Gunn came to our school a few months ago and someone asked him what he thinks of the look and he scoffed. So even though college girls loved it, Tim Gunn disapproves.

Anonymous said...

I live in London, Ontario and go to Canada's best university (in my opinion :P)- WESTERN! I think it's also Canada's biggest sorority school?. The girls here LOVE TNA bags (from a Canadian store called Aritzia) and lululemon pants (www.lululemon.com- check them out, they are the holy grail of yoga wear!). UGG boots are also a must have in our snowy city. And yeah, pashminas keep us toasty from September to April!
I have just started looking at your youtube videos and they are the girliest, happiest things! Oh and I just got Lincoln Park After dark, and now it is popping up EVERYWHERE! Love love love. Rock on Elle <3
- MaiCecile

Anan R. said...

OMG is that how you guys go to school? HAHA sorry don;t mean to make fun of you. well in my country( i life in the Netherlands ) well at least at my school, it is so important to dress well from tip to toe..
high heels, skinny jeans, amazing kaftan/top/blouse whatever and then offcourse the bag is probably the most important item.
yes we actually dress up for school, it is like one big fashionshow going on every single day.. and people are competing as wel!
i want to wear something like that to school i wish i could.. well it's not that i cant.. i just know i won't feel comfortable..

Meaghan on June 30, 2009 at 1:00 AM said...

this is it...to a tee. It's actually kind of scary. The worst part about it is that the girls at my school wear leggings that are too short and they don't go all the way into the Uggs, leaving about 1.5 inches of skin exposed BAH!

Anonymous said...

A few girls on my campus (in Southern Wisconsin) dress like that, but it's mainly varients on jeans and a t-shirt for most students. Though there seems to be differences between majors, for example, theatre majors and art majors are more crazy with their fashions, Science majors had a lot of "in joke" shirts, Dancers wore dance clothes. In winter everyone pretty much wears whatever keeps them warm.

Anonymous said...

Omg haha that's how we rock it at my skool! Except we carry lv bags the huge speedy 1s! And when it gets a little warmer we wear lululemon jackets instead of north faces

Anonymous said...

Worst look of the day. Can't believe the 80s are coming back in disguise. Leggings are not pants. I'm from the snowy region and I still don't see the point in the length of my jacket replacing my pants. Half the time you can get through a foot of snow in sneakers.

Man up, ladies.

Anonymous said...

My uni dressing code is more like this: http://www.pullbear.com/#/showroom/


:)

Anonymous said...

Hahah, you are so completely SPOT-ON with that, it's hilarious. At my college, this is all you see on every single girl there.

....Including me. OOPS. :)

Caro on March 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM said...

at my school in germany we were a lot of longchamp bags too!
and a lot wear ugg boots

Philly said...

jeggings or skinny jeans, oversized sweater, uggs or sneakers, hair in ponytail everyone wears it!

Anonymous said...

That is soooo similar to what the people at my school wear in the winter but when it gets really cold they wear skinny jeans instead. I live and the south so it doesn't get very cold that often. Also when the weather gets warm you see more than half of the girls on campus wearing nike shorts and a baggy s/s or l/s shirt. Sometimes when it is still chilly they will layer their leggings with the shorts as well if they don't wear a shirt long enough. Almost everyone wears backpacks at my school because we have a lot of walking to do.

Anonymous said...

How the University students dress in Canada.

Yeah there are so often generic "university looks".

I just finished my undergrad at a school in Canada with lots of international students and it's all about academics, so there was no "clothing trend". My best friend went to a school in Toronto and every girl (and guy) wears the same thing.

1) girls: TNA jackets, and they Carry TNA bags (they aren't even cute they look like canvas bowling bags!) skinny jeans (dark blue or black) and Uggs.

2) all the guys wear Canada goose jackets

It was a lot nicer going to a uni where people wore anything and everything. Early classes there were always kids still sporting their pajamas and on the other end of the spectrum - girls looking ready for the club.

Sarah on April 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM said...

I go to SMU (Southern Methodist University) in Dallas, TX but am from Ohio. I've noticed at Ohio schools (Miami, OU) they're pretty much the same as SMU despite north and south differences.

Other typical things include leggings with oversized sorority t-shirts, WHITE HANES V-NECK TEES!!!, and Hunter brand rain boots.

Also at SMU anyway, we're known for being overdressed. Severely. Dresses, skirts, ultra-cute. All the time.

When not over dressed, there's that purposefully messy look with messy buns and the whole legging ensemble.

Anonymous said...

i live in north carolina and thats exactly how my high school dresses. replace the north face with a patagonia pullover and when the weather warms up TOMS shoes and you've got the typical nc girl.

Post a Comment

 

Elle Fowler Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez

ss_blog_claim=941dacbcbd77f1b77a19a34351d0506b