Friday, December 19, 2008

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque


I absolutely adore face masks. Currently my favorite one is Lush's Mask of Magnaminty, which retails for $11.55 for the small size and $20.45 for the larger size. It smells and feels great, and is all natural so I feel organic using it. The biggest problem with it is that it is so fresh it only has a shelf life of 4 months. Now, this sounds like a long time, but I only do face masks about once every 2 weeks, so that is not long at all for so much product. Another problem? I have no lush store near me, which means i have to get it shipped, which means when it all comes down to it my mask really only has 3 months left by the time it gets to me. So even though I love this one, and will continue buying it, I am looking for an easier alternative.

I have heard a ton of good reviews about Queen Helene's Mask but I have never had time to try it out. This one is cheap ($3.99!), you can get it anywhere, and it has great reviews. Seems amazing right? I decided to try it out for the first time late last night when I got home from an 8 hour drive to my parents house. I was stressed out, and I thought the best thing would be a bubble bath and a face mask.

Initial thoughts?

Well, I put it on in the bath and my first thought was that I LOVED the smell! Its very minty, like toothpaste, but slightly sweeter. The perfect clay mask smell. It is also green which I like cause it makes me feel 1950s-ish. I let it dry for about 15 mins and could feel it tingling and getting deep into my pores. It felt great! After 15 mins I washed it off and immediatly my skin felt tight. So tight, that after my bath I had to slather it with face lotion, and again this morning when I woke up. At the end of the night tonight my face was greasy. Was it the mask? Probably not. It was probably all the lotion I put on BECAUSE of the mask. I had one stress pimple from finals week on my chin and it dried that up nicely.

Bottom line?

This still costs $3.99, and you can find it anywhere. It is well worth it. I do not have any major complaints, and actually LOVED the feeling. Will I switch over permanently from Lush's mask? Maybe not completely... but this is for sure a good alternative :)

xoxo

14 comments on "Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque"

Anonymous said...

This is probably out of point but MAC's new collection Chill has got a pretty pink color and I think you might be interested! It's called Wintersky and it looks pretty online.

Anonymous said...

I love facemasks aswell, I really want to try that one from lush :)

Anonymous said...

Are you planning on getting anything from the chill collection elle? :)

Amanda S. on December 19, 2008 at 6:17 PM said...

hey Elle! I tag you in my blog for your top 5 favorite skin care products. I have a video on You Tube, but I'm too timid to make it public. haha. :)

MC on December 20, 2008 at 3:02 AM said...

I really like that mask too. They make a scrub in Mint Julep at well. You can use the mask as an over night spot treatment for pimples!

Anonymous said...

I love the mint julep mask, I have been using it for years...like 8+ I believe. Definitely a great underrated product.

Posey on December 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM said...

Its so funny, i have been using this mask for like 8 years! lol.

My dad had it when i was younger so i used it, and have been ever since!

I saw someone bought it in a tub once on some blog, so i am searching for that, because every bottle i get is SUPER hard to squeeze it out!

Anonymous said...

wow I can't wait to try the cheaper one :)

Anonymous said...

It's pretty good, but it's also a little bit drying (definitely not something I'd use more than once in a while). This mask would be good for someone with oily skin or if you're looking for an occasional pick-me-up mask. I agree with Posey--the tube becomes difficult to squeeze after a while, so a tub would come in handy.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with this face mask, it gets really tight and makes my skn feel extremely dry when i have the most oily skin ever.I still havent found an alernative mask yet,but i think i might try the one from lush out:)

applecrumble on January 4, 2009 at 9:23 PM said...

oh i have the mask too but I only put it on my problematic areas... never on my whole face.. maybe you should try that =)

Anonymous said...

where can u get the mask? (the cheaper one) lol :)

Anonymous said...

I bought the second one that you recommended yesterday. I am wearing it now. It doesn't feel like it's getting deep into my pores. But I just put in on, so I will wait a few minutes. Thanks for your suggestion!

Tiffany on February 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM said...

Just a suggestion to those of you who want the 2nd mask in a tub... I have used this mask for a long time and love it. But I hated trying to get it out of the tube. So now I just buy the product, cut off the sealed end, and squeeze all of the mask into a cute airtight container. It makes it SO much easier, and my container matches my bathroom decor!

Post a Comment

 

Elle Fowler Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez

ss_blog_claim=941dacbcbd77f1b77a19a34351d0506b